CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 7, 2008

Keep, keep, keep it up?

I usually finish books in a couple days, but I am on about my second week with this one; I just can't get into it and am only a quarter of the way through. Is there something I am missing? It was awarded the Pulitzer Prize, so there's got to be something that people enjoy, but I just don't think it's my cup of tea. I am therefore extending a request to anyone who has read it-do I struggle on through or return it to the bookshelf to make myself appear well read to friends and family? I sometimes think the people who award such prizes try to pick the most obscure and random pieces, so as to make the rest of the population feel inadequate while they sit atop their thrones of literary pretension and thumb their noses at the uneducated masses. But that's just me.

On a side note, I read The Cider House Rules a couple weeks ago and loved it! John Irving (also wrote The World According to Garp) is quite magnificent, and he even named one of his characters Candice, although he makes a snide remark about said name in the book. Whatever, John.

3 comments:

Meghan said...

For fast reading, I (again) highly recommend "Pillars of the Earth". I know it looks long. And boring. Because it says it's about cathedrals and like 1600s England (or something). But I assure you, it's AWESOME and fast to read.

I tried reading Ulysses once and was like "Okay everyone is lying when they say this is a good book".

Currently enjoying the Tudors series by Jean Plaidy. I read about Anne Boleyn and now Katherine of Aragon. VERY GOOD STUFF!

Kyle Johnson said...

Neil tried to tell all of us in high school that A Confederacy of Dunces is great and we should all read it. I purchased a $.25 copy from Goodwill and it has sat on my shelf since. The book is so thrilling, that--lost in all the praise for the book--Neil never actually read it to begin with. Go figure.

Stake Camp Directors said...

mmmm, I read Summer of the Swans with a Scholastic accelerated reader grade level of 5.7! No literary geniuses can keep me down:>