CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 16, 2008

PISSED!


I have not been that vocal about the whole Prop. 8 business for awhile now, as initially I wasn't sure about whether or not I supported it, and I don't think it is my place to spout off my opinions to students. However, the more research I have done concerning it, I now know I will be voting yes.
I received some fun news today regarding the CTA, my teachers' union: we are donating $1 million dollars to the "No on Prop. 8" campaign. I have had issues with the union for awhile now, as I think they are a waste of money ($86 a month for some crap magazine) and they keep people on the job who should have been fired a long time ago, but they stay under protection of the union.
From what I have been told by my representatives, the CTA is an agency shop, which basically means you pay dues whether or not you belong to the union, so I've always just kind of gone along with it. No more! I am right now searching the CTA website and contacting my rep. to withdraw my membership. Of the 20 billion things that need to be taken care of in the classroom, this is where my money is going? I wouldn't be in support of the $1 million donation even if it went towards the "Yes on Prop. 8" campaign. GRRRR!!! I still love my gays, but I don't see why sexual preference ever needs to be discussed in the classroom. Label me an ignorant conservative to your heart's content.

Excellent NPR article that highlights some of the ramifications if "Yes on 8" is unsuccessful. These are some of the things that really opened my eyes to why I should support its passage; people demand tolerance for their beliefs yet do not afford the same treatment for others.

8 comments:

Stake Camp Directors said...

Double pissed at our house!

Meghan said...

Charles once told me that it's actually illegal for them to withdraw dues and he was EXCITED for me to become a teacher (back when I briefly tossed around the idea) so he could sue them if they forced me to keep it.

I guarantee he would LOVE to help you. I'll send him your email address

:D

Peter FNFN said...

haha!

Stake Camp Directors said...

Check out the post on myronn.blogspot.com Good comments!

Meghan said...

As a sidenote, your use of that Britney picture to illustrate your anger is probably going to make me laugh the rest of the year.

Heidi and Rich said...

Amen Candice. I never joined the union here in Vegas for some of the same reasons. It is a crime that they make you be a part of it - especially when they have cut funding in CA and let go of teachers and then spend the union money on an unrelated issue to the field of education. Hello!!! I hope you can withdraw - you are an awesome teacher and believe me if you ever get into any snag with the district I am sure that Brandon or my Dad would be happy to represent you and they'd do a better job than any union rep or union attorney!!!

Shoes said...

http://www.nrtw.org/special-legal-notice-california-teachers-how-get-least-300-refund-cta-nonbargaining-expenses

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

Way to go Candice - stand up for what you believe. I love that you are going to fight it.