CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 8, 2009

5. I now want to see a Scarlett Johansson movie. Questionable.


I have always enjoyed period pieces in regards to movies and books, and Girl with a Pearl Earring was no different. One of my favorite classes in college was European history, with an emphasis on the Dutch (gold star to Dr. Rink!), and this book reawakened my interest in the land of windmills and wooden shoes. It is historical fiction, creating a backstory for the girl in the portrait and the artist, Vermeer, and it is simplistically lovely. I have the painting hanging in my front room (surprise, surprise) and I now have a story-albeit one entirely contrived-that gives the girl some soul.

In globetrotting news, I have decided my next European rendezvous will include Holland and Denmark. Learn some more history, tiptoe through the tulips, get in touch with my family roots, and see where the future of America is headed if we continue with Obama's plans for socialization. Hurray for a nation of dependents!

4 comments:

Zach and Stacie said...

I love that book. Tracy Chevalier is great...Virgin Blue is my favorite, but I also love Falling Angels. Didn't enjoying Burning Bright. Anyway...too much information. Love seeing new posts on my Google Reader. Love you. Maybe see you this weekend!

Peter FNFN said...

candace! denmark? i've been wanting to plan a very similar vacation! do you have any tentative dates? i'm thinking late summer... just a thought.

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

I'm enjoying the book updates...I'm eager to check out a recommendation! Off to Denmark...pretty!

The Panero Family said...

I hate you, you world traveler you. Tristan Talia and I are traveling to the supermarket today.