CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 6, 2009

3. & 4. Two steps forward, two steps back.


Yes, I did just quote Paula Abdul. Most know her today as the drunky McDrunkster on American Idol, but I will forever remember her in a Laker Girl uniform and dancing with a cartoon cat. Straight up!

Book #3 on my 2009 50 list was Love is a Verb by Mary Ellen Edmunds, recommended by my mom. It was very uplifting and reminded me that there is more to life than stacks of ungraded papers and discussions about the economic stimulus package (one in EVERY class today-kill me) and that I need to be more vocal/active (hence the "verb" in the title) in showing my love for others, which can be difficult for me, as I am somewhat of a closed book/ice queen.

I decided to follow it up with Revolutionary Road (currently a movie starring those kids from Titanic). I know it's a book I should pretend to have enjoyed, as it is the story of a 1960s couple trying to come to terms with a life they never really wanted, culminating in great tragedy, but...meh. Just wasn't doing it for me. One of my favorite movies is American Beauty, though, and I kind of recognize some similarities between the two stories, but I'm going to have to pass on Road. I am loving my newest literary pursuit, however, so good times are ahead. I know, you are all waiting on the edge of your seats for my review. Be patient.

In other book news, I stopped by the Goodwill that is devoted to used books and SCORED, finding six more Baby-Sitters Club books to add to my collection that I'm slowly rebuilding. I passed on a couple Jessi and Mallory books, though, because they were always boring. Any other BSC fans with me on this one? Nobody cares that your parents treat you like babies or that you love stupid horse stories. Now get back to describing Claudia's outfit!

3 comments:

Meghan said...

I once told a someone my name was Claudia.

She was THE BEST!

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

I totally remember that you liked Claudia best, for that exact reason. Too funny. I think I liked Stacy best, but saw aspects of myself in Kristin that I really hoped would never be discovered! Okay, too much info!

The Panero Family said...

Ah I think my favorite all time part in any book is the recreation wedding scene. I remember being like 15 a rereading the Big Day and still cracking up so hard I was crying. You know I love Jessie because she was the ballerina so I could overlook the typecasting\boring I am so put upon dribble.