CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 28, 2009

9. This was NOT intended.

My friend's birthday was last week, and usually I bring my A-game when it comes to selecting the perfect gift for such things. However, my creativity has been severely depleted due to my need for it in the planning of Prom and organizing the school blood drive. Thus, I found myself at Target/my Mecca buying her a gift card-lame. I decided to add a personal touch with a book and settled upon Tori Spelling's autobiography; you know, real hard-hitting journalism. Of course I flipped through it when I got home, and soon browsing had turned into perusing. And that's how I found myself up until 2am engrossed in the sordid tale of Tori's privileged upbringing, drama on the set of "90210" (I was never allowed to watch it but I don't feel that deprived), her first failed marriage, finding new love (with a married man-scandalous!), etc. And you better believe I wrapped it up nicely (that truly is my favorite part of the gift-giving process) and am giving it to her tonight at the birthday soiree.

During my shopping excursion I was looking at office supplies (hold on, it gets better) and saw a body appear, then quickly disappear, at the end of the aisle, followed by a yelp of "I don't want to see her!" What the what? Of course I investigated and found three of my students. Apparently kids think it awkward to see teachers out of their natural habitat and, of the three, only Carissa was being normal and conversing with me like a human being, while Jeff and Rudy tried to avoid eye contact. Jeff then shared that he had seen me looking through the books and quickly turned the other way, as he didn't want me to see him "dressed like this." First off, there was nothing wrong with his ensemble (I was looking hot-to-trot in my gym clothes); and second, if one is as smart as this kid, who cares what you're wearing? While I do enjoy the world o' fashion and find great joy in piecing together outfits for the work and fun times, others don't, and that's cool. I only judge girls who wear Uggs paired with miniskirts and boys who don the Skin and Metal Mulisha brands.

I can recommend sTORI TELLING (props on the title) for those looking for a quick and painless beach read; but not for those looking to nourish their mind, body, and soul. I am thinking of atoning for this by checking out The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life. My students and I recently read and discussed excerpts from his annual letter to Berkshire Hathaway stockholders, and he is just good stuff. Did you know he has lived in the same home for the past 50 years and that he has a company jet he named "The Indefensible"? Fun facts...

7 comments:

Courtney said...

question is, will you read "Stories from Candyland-Confections from one of Hollywood's most famous Wives and Mothers' From Candy Spelling? Candice..she doesn't even know where her daughter lives. Tragic. a must read.

Stake Camp Directors said...

See Hollywood mothers don't even know where their kids live while moromon moms just limit their children's choices of entertainment. It's okay dad and I both missed out on the phenomenom that was Three's Company and I think we still pass as "cool"(kudos to Aunt Elaine) parents. By the way I love my sweet daughters and in no way are you skanks so just keep making fun of me because I know you worship and adore me--HAHA--and now enjoy that one in all your specialness

Stake Camp Directors said...

You can choose which mother I am in the last comment-Mormon Mom or Moron Mom and probably just enough of both.

Amy Coontz said...

Candice-I LOVE your blog!!!

Jessica said...

Candice, oh where shall I begin. You are quite the woman. Your blog is great. I can find out about the economy, find great reads and learn the newest in my mind, "udaho-idaho". You are also quite the busy woman. Your Mormon mama is great too.

Dean and Maryellen said...

Just want to say your blog is by far the most fun to read. Brings back memories of that little blond headed girl whose favorite color was black and her favorite TV show was Julia Childs and she also loved Gail Asayama.And look at you now
Love you, Grandma.

Jensen's Funny Farm said...

I love to read your blog.It always puts a smile on my face!!