CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 18, 2010

All the honeys who makin’ money, throw ya' hands up at me. All the mamas who profit dollas, throw ya' hands up at me.

YAY! Just finished teaching the unit on monopolies, oligopolies, cartels, etc., which culminates with a few days of throwing dice and playing Monopoly. I love it, as it entails the kids getting into groups, doling out the cash and asking me five thousand times when they can start erecting houses on their property. Um, when you own all of the colors, i.e. you HAVE A MONOPOLY. I get to catch up on grading and it gives me time to wander the room and get to know my students a little more in a non-naggish way. Originally I was just going to allot two days to the gaming experience, but they were so focused on the task at hand today that I think we'll take it through Monday, because having to do anything that includes a PowerPoint on Monday sucks.

Random facts about the board game:
1) The race car was voted the favorite token in 1998. I always liked the thimble and iron. You know, because I'm sooooo domestic.
2) Tokens in the "Here and Now" version include McDonald's fries, Starbucks coffee and the Toyota Prius. I guess this says that, while we may be filling ourselves with caffeine and greasy food, at least we're taking care of Mother Earth. Go us.
3) Neiman Marcus created a $600 chocolate game in 1978.
4) After Fidel Castro assumed power in Cuba, he ordered all Monopoly games destroyed. Capitalism sucks!
5) Escape maps, compasses and files were inserted into game boards smuggled into POW camps inside Germany during WWII. Real money for escapees was slipped into the packs of Monopoly money.
6) The three most-landed-on properties are Illinois Avenue, "GO" and the B&O RR. Next time you play, buy those properties quickly and thank me later.
7) Dad always wins. Always.

5 comments:

Amy Coontz said...

I bet the Prius ALWAYS passes go!

Leslie said...

i swear, you must be the most awesome teacher ever, thanks for the trivia.

taryn morrison said...

miss candice urmston how do you do??!
i have been great, hitch hiking around cali, meeting beautiful people every day and experiencing life!!
i miss you tell me how you've been!

Kristi said...

Time for another post! How's this year going?

PRC said...

https://www.cekaja.com/info/10-kota-tertua-di-dunia-yang-masih-eksis